Saturday, August 15, 2009

Adjectives

I love adjectives, I use them excessively in my writing and conversation. They're just fun.

But when people ask me how Japan was, I draw a blank. They're looking for a couple words, maybe a sentence on the topic. I think I could write a book on all my opinions on different aspects of Japan.

If I'm being honest, Japan wasn't all good, and it wasn't all bad.

The food there was a challenge for me. Naturally I'm a picky eater, but I went ahead and tried most of the foods that I came in contact with. Most of the things were okay, but I did end up sick a couple times during the trip, plus I began to miss American food. I had some issues with the slimy texture of the food. Plus I missed fruit and vegetables (they are very expensive in Japan due to lack of land).

It was relatively easy to get around Japan. Most signs are in Japanese and English, plus I had a set of translators (my Japanese friends) to help me out.

I was surprised by a lot of things.
  • How crazy some of the people dress there, puts any "original" people here to shame, it's awesome.
  • How much people are judged by appearances there.
  • Some classic sexism straight from 1950s America in regards to expectations of women (it took a lot not to complain).
  • The amazingly high tech toilets. And the annoying squat toilets.
All in all, I think I learned a ton about another culture. Things I wouldn't realize or learn otherwise. I could totally pass a Japanese culture course. But no so much the language part. Yo puedo hablar espanol y ingles solemente.

It was crazy different and fun and full of new experiences. I'll definitely be back. But I'm glad to be home.

No comments:

Post a Comment