Wednesday, February 25, 2009

How Much is a Dollar, Really?

At school, I was talking to some friends about where they go shopping. And I was also thinking about where I shop. And our different reactions, because we all have a general idea of the prices of most stores. And I have to say...WTF.

I know Novi is supposed to be all those "dumb, spoiled rich brats." But how many of us are really like that? And teenagers, -no people, in general can be critical of how much money you spend on things, regardless of how little or much they have personally.

I have to say, I have a skewed view of money. My parents have told to me about my family's finances. I roughly know what my parents make. I also know the average household for Novi, or at least what it was before the recession and everything. My family was pretty much dead average then. I won't comment on where we fall now. All I will say is that my parents have been great to me. They know how to say no, but they also indulge me a bit. I think this may be where my skewed view comes in.

I see my money piling up in my wallet when I earn it from my job working for my dad. And I think, "wow, every dollar does make a difference." But then, when I shop with my parents, I suppose I disregard the value of a dollar well... quite a lot. I can't help thinking about my friend's reaction today. That I would dare shop at [certain store here], because she feels guilty doing that when her mom takes her shopping. Well, after thinking about that, it made me mad. Yes, she and I are different, and our families are different. She doesn't know how the prices I spend on things are in relation to my family's money, or lack of.

I just wish people wouldn't jump to conclusions so much. I...well...I won't say much more. I feel like a spoiled brat complaining about all this. And, hell, I think about myself way too much. But...what I spend on a pair of shoes to me is reasonable. To some, it's outrageous, to others, it's chump change.

I'm...I'm really mad right now. And I really don't get mad. I'm don't want to be judged on numbers. Numbers that don't mean anything. 100 years from now? Test scores? Yes. Shoe prices? No. My resolution for Lent? Not to judge by someone's financial situation anymore. And I'm sorry if I do. But I'm not apologizing for shopping at American Eagle! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment