Thursday, July 30, 2009

Why Dr, House is Addicted to Vicodin

I had my four wisdom teeth taken out today. I don't remember much except the nice falling asleep during surgery, and again on the way home. I do remember receiving five different prescription drugs I am now supposed to use. They include a mouthwash, a steroid to relieve swelling, a high does of ibuprofen, penicillin, and finally, Vicodin.

First I took the ibuprofen, but I've already been taking it since last week for my ankle. Despite the does being six times my normal dose, it didn't help much.

So I took the damn Vicodin. I am proud to announce I will never develop the addiction House has, that's for sure. Yes, you get an initial high, which is kinda nice. But eventually you get to the point where you question whether or not it's even worth it to take the Vicodin.

I have a very, very strong stomach. The stuff has brought me to my knees every time I've taken it today. But I need it right now. The four other drugs plus ice packs just don't help enough.

Also, I can't stand more than a minute without getting woozy and having to stop. I researched the side effects, and there are a ton of other nasty ones.

But I understand why House would get addicted. I understand why someone in genuine pain 24/7 could. You need it. Side effects or not, it's the magic that can keep you functioning semi-normally until the pain goes away.

I don't particularly like Vicodin. I've only been taking a quarter of my recommended dose. But I know enough now to understand why it can be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment